Saturday 26 November 2016

DEBATE: THE GREATNESS OF SHAKESPEARE IS HIS LANGUAGE

Well they say that Shakespeare still lives and breathes among us. He while writing his work would not have thought that he would leave a legacy behind for the future to cherish. As per Scholars it has been told that at least 1 Shakespearean play is played every day all over the world. Guess that proves it all that which makes him the greatest GRANDMASTER the world has known so far. What makes Shakespeare "The Legend" for me is his inclination towards few lines in many of his plays "All the world is a stage and we are merely players, Hell is empty and all the Devils are here". All of this makes a strong stand favouring Art imitates Reality. I am for sure is no less than PLAIN EVIL THAN THE DEVIL HIMSELF.

("Art imitates Reality") This one particular line for me has different meanings from time to time.The real question for me  is What is Real ?. What is the actual definition of Real. How much can anyone differentiate between Real and Imagination (Art).  Things were  the same then as it is now. I really don't know how much of it is Real or just my Imagination (Art) from time to time. The things that i come in contact with (newspapers) makes my head spin. I see that we all are walking in  a fine narrow line between sanity and insanity. If one slips on to the other end (Insanity) to make things from bad to worse, there is nothing much that one can do about it. The scenario which we all unfortunately face today is people  caught in between the struggle to distinguish imagination (Art) from reality. Like it or not i guess  Shakespeare knew what Reality is. William Shakespeare the greatest playwright writers of all has undoubtedly come up with his own twist of reality through his plays. He discusses life be it Macbeth, Othello, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Merchant of Venice. Every character in his play has emotions that relate to good or bad, positive or negative. While reading or watching the play people can see their character personified in a larger than life image. I guess this distinguishing factor is what Shakespeare got it right. Only good does not exist out there in the real world. It is mixture of  emotions that make us who we are and where we are headed.

If i then ask myself "Who am I." For me i guess i know who i am. I am really trying to find it out on a day to day basis is the best i can come up with. Real life scenarios i guess make you who you are just like any Shakespearean plot. I live in a cut throat world and i for that have a particular fondness towards (SHYLOCK, JEW OF SHAKESPEARE). I will give it a best fight to get what is mine and if defeated i will accept it and deal with it in my very own way without being a nuisance to any. If i live in a "DOG EAT DOG WORLD", it is better that i be a DOG. I want my pound of flesh which is mine just as Shylock determined to get what rightfully belongs to him. Though difficult of doing such a thing in the real world  i love fancying such a thought.

For me i have not  gone through everything he wrote. The reason is that i  really don't understand when i read it. Such a similar plight was shared by a panel member of the Debate on Shakespeare that i recently attended. Inspite of me having a tough time in understanding what he wrote there are still few words that we all use on a day to day basis.  "Love is Blind" is a Shakespearean word and a theme that world cinema has adapted to and tries very hard for all of us to believe in it. For me personally it has been a "Wild Goose Chase" another Shakespearean word. Either way many of the movies have been inspired with such Shakespearean words. "Break the Ice" another Shakespearean word is something which i should do and get directly to business. Jot down a few pointers that i have got from a "Debate on Shakespeare"

DEBATE
THE GREATNESS OF SHAKESPEARE IS HIS LANGUAGE 
FOR THE MOTION: Alyque Padamsee and Suhel Seth
AGAINST THE MOTION: Carlos Gamerro and Simon Choa-Johnston.

Well i am not a great avid reader of Shakespeare or a literary genius to have any comment on it. All i have done so far is to attend plays of Shakespeare. Few points made in the debate made me to think what actually Shakespeare as a person was and the points that work in my favour. This debate again left me spell bound with the command of language and presence Alyque Padamsee and Suhel Seth had. Again i can only wish if i can speak like them as i was mesmerized by it.

Few points from FOR THE MOTION:
1. Shakespeare is not meant to be read (It has to be acted). He lives in the Actors mouth. Words have meaning in the intelligence and depth of the human nature. -  Otherwise Shakespearean language should be communicated from his mouth to the audiences ear. I guess i can relate to it . I have not read any and have no intention to. Matter of the fact understanding contemporary English is difficult for me.

2. Never knew that Shakespearean plots were not original.

3. Shakespeare had a ghost writer named Manlo who helped in coming up with his plots. For me  I guess it was the ghost himself who gave him the plot of Hamlet. If it was not for a Ghost such a plot would not see the light of the day.

4. Shakespearean words remain relevant to date. He has a finite cunning sense of knowing what human nature is which he makes it abundantly clear in his plays.

Few points from AGAINST THE MOTION:

1. Shakespeare used visuals in his words during the play for narration that made the play what it is. It was just not because of the language but the use of visuals and theatrics in his words that got his message conveyed across the room.

2. Languages die and go on living in a transformed state as i guess is the  current day scenario. Many prefer to watch adapted Shakespeare movies or play.

3. Language relevant to human emotion is a medium of communication that evolves.

4. Shakespearean power of Transcendence expresses its greatness. Shakespearean plots have been adapted today keeping aside the language that was used.

My Take:
If you want a real Shakespearean play and not the language things may not add up to ones expectation. I guess it is only with original Shakespearean words that you get a  taste of what the humble origins of cinema was. I would rather stick to The Greatness of Shakespeare is in his language to get a Blast from the Past effect while watching his play. I can anytime catch a movie for much better understanding.





No comments:

Post a Comment